The first night of Movies in the Park 2016, presented by Downtown Grand Rapids Inc., features The Wizard of Oz on a 3-story film screen. The PG film was originally released in 1939 and runs for 102 minutes. The film will be shown with Spanish subtitles for the Spanish-speaking community in metro GR. The event is free and open to the public.
Friday June 3, 2016. See DGRI's Facebook event page for the detailed schedule of activities.
7 PM - Free movie-themed activities begin. Highlights include:
- DJ and Emcee Adrian Butler.
- Photo ops with Dorothy and the crew on the Yellow Brick Road.
- Fortunes told by crystal ball, tarot card and palm readers.
- Wand making with the Grand Rapids Children's Museum.
- Explore the Dorothy's house display provided by Community Rebuilders.
- Chance to win a Big Ticket instant giveaway from the Michigan Lottery.
- 9 food vendors organized by the Grand Rapids Food Truck Association.
Dusk - The Wizard of Oz begins.
Ah-Nab-Awen Park, on the west bank of the Grand River, adjacent to Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum in Downtown Grand Rapids.
If you choose to drive, plan ahead for parking to avoid wasting time looking for a space.
If you choose to bike, the Greater Grand Rapids Bicycle Coalition manages free parking in the park.
Movie Night Tips
To help movie goers enjoy the night out under the stars, here are a few quick tips:
- The park fills up fast, so get there early for the best spots.
- Costumes are encouraged.
- Nothing beats an ice cold one on a warm summer night. If you’d like to partake, be sure to bring your own drinks and picture ID.
- While packing up, you might as well make it a picnic in the park. If you choose not to bring food, vendors will have snacks for purchase.
- You’ll be outside for a few hours, so get comfy. We suggest bringing a blanket or chairs to sit on. Blankets up front. Chairs in the back.
- Those under the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- You may love your ringtone, but that doesn’t mean everyone else does. Please silence your phones.
- If you need to talk during the movie, please keep your voices low.
- In the event of rain, we’ll have to cancel the show. Follow Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on Facebook to stay up-to-date.
Red Carpet Sponsor
- AHC+ Hospitality
- Friends of Grand Rapids Parks
- Grand Rapids Community Media Center
- Wealthy Street Theatre
- Artists Creating Together
- The City of Grand Rapids
- Coalition for Tobacco Free Parks
- The Common Gentry Carriage Company
- Community Rebuilders
- Downtown Market Grand Rapids
- Goodwill of Greater Grand Rapids
- Grand Rapids Children’s Museum
- Grand Rapids Food Truck Association
- Grand Rapids Urban League
- Greater Grand Rapids Bicycle Coalition
- The High Five Program
- Kent County Health Connect
- The Wonder Wagon