DGRI Commends City of GR's Forward Thinking on 201 Market Site
Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. (DGRI) is encouraged by the City of Grand Rapid's move to begin identifying qualified developers capable of leading the redevelopment of the so-called 201 Market site, a 15.8 acre Grand River-front property that currently serves as a city public works facility on the southern edge of Downtown.
The GR Forward community plan identified the location as one of more than two dozen "opportunity sites" along the urban riverfront where strategic investment can simultaneously deliver new residential and retail opportunities, better protect the city from extreme flooding as well as expand public access and recreation opportunities along the Grand River.
GR Forward, unanimously approved by the City Commission as an amendment to the City Master Plan in December 2015, is a community plan and investment strategy to transform the Grand River into a distinct asset and support the next generation of growth in Downtown Grand Rapids.
More specifically, GR Forward identified a series of design considerations and goals to inform the redevelopment of the city-owned 201 Market site in a way that's consistent with the community's vision:
- Establish new housing and retail/entertainment/recreation uses that help "activate" the Grand River.
- Establish a large-scale and programmable destination open space.
- Improve flood management through innovative landscape design.
- Provide an ecological edge that manages on site stormwater and provides river habitat.
- Provide public access to the river, including boat access.
- Provide a continuous multi-use trail connection across the property.
- Ensure active uses facing both Market Avenue and the Grand River.
- Buffer US 131 and the rail line from the open space to maximize people's enjoyment of the area.
- Establish intersections along Market Avenue that are safe and convenient for people who walk.
- Visually extend "Downtown" south along the Grand River.
- Establish a gateway at Cherry Street.
Click here for more information on how the 201 Market site fits in the community vision of reestablishing the Grand River as a significant regional asset. (PDF) Find the discussion of 201 Market site on pages 95-98.
Click here for more information on how the 201 Market site fits in the community vision of growing a Downtown neighborhood home to diverse population. (PDF) Find the discussion of 201 Market site on pages 134-139.
Click here for still more detailed information on the community's intent for redeveloping the opportunity sites along the Grand River. (PDF) Find the discussion of the 201 market site on pages 9-14.