The purpose of the Events and Recreation Programming Intern is to support the Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. (DGRI) staff in planning, designing, and executing events and programming within the Downtown district. The overall goal of the position is to supplement logistical functions of the event planning process and execution.
This is an ideal position for a candidate interested in pursuing a career as an events planner/coordinator while making a difference in Downtown Grand Rapids helping to activate our public spaces.
• Support the Events Manager with administrative tasks related to events and programming.
• Support social media accounts through the development of content by taking photos at events.
• Coordinate logistical aspects of various events such as securing in-kind donations, recruiting volunteers, preparing event materials, etc.
• Provide event support through logistics and setup for day-of the event
• Work each DGRI event table to help promote DGRI efforts and upcoming events
• Participate in grassroots marketing and fundraising efforts
• Prepare mailings to be sent to potential participants and donors
• Assist staff with publicizing special events, information meetings, and other activities as needed
• Maintain a working knowledge of DGRI, our mission and programs
• Work with bands, performers, and vendors to get them set up at events
• Help to coordinate Pop-Up Performers (street performers) at Downtown locations
• Help plan event activities and programming
• Research vendors
• Obtain vendor quotes
• Contribute to team effort by participating in other projects as needed.
• Must be able to lift up to 30lbs and move equipment.
• Able to work nights and weekends with a flexible schedule.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Professional demeanor.
• Must be highly attentive to details.
• Must be flexible and adaptable.
• Excellent written communication skills.
• Organizational and prioritization skills, with the ability to meet deadlines and manage multi-step projects in a fast-paced environment.
• Excellent task management and follow-through.
• Ability to work successfully with diverse groups and must be team-oriented.
• Must demonstrate ability to operate and make decisions at a level appropriate to this position.
• Must be detailed and results-oriented with strong organizational skills; ability to take directions effectively and work well with others in a collaborative environment, while displaying the capability of working independently with little supervision.
• Social Media proficiency
• Knowledge of Adobe Suite
• Knowledge and efficiency with digital photography
• Experience managing and working events
• Knowledge of volunteer coordination and working with volunteers
• Experience fund-raising
• Previous experience with a business office or non-profit organization.
EQUIPMENT TO BE USED
PC, AV, printer, scanner, telephone, email, Microsoft Programs, and P.A. system.
The Events and Program Intern will work in the intern designated space of the DGRI administrative office in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. The Events and Programming Intern may be required to interface with business and property owners, residents, community members, government staff, vendors, and professional service providers from time to time. Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to complying with State and Federal laws including fair employment practice laws which provide equal opportunity in employment to all persons regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, veteran status, or disability.
START / END DATE
May 2017 - September 2017
The Events and Programming Intern will work a flexible schedule of 15- 25 hours a week. This will include some evening and weekend hours.
The Events and Communications Intern is a non-exempt employee. Compensation shall be $12.50 per hour worked.
Send cover letter, resume, references and portfolio (if applicable) to Kimberly Van Driel at email@example.com by April 14, 2017. No phone calls please.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.