Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. (DGRI) announced the film lineup for Movies in the Park 2017. DGRI also will introduce several new features that aim to continue enhancing the appeal of the event program and experience for all Grand Rapidians. These changes include:
- Gabriella de la Vega of WYCE's El Mundo Musical will join DJ Adrian Butler as the event host and emcee.
- A 400 square foot LED video wall - presented in partnership with LiveSpace - will replace the inflatable screen used in past seasons.
- No more waiting for the sun to go down. The video wall enables movies to start earlier in the evening. So each of the 6 event nights will present a double feature - a family-friendly film followed by movies for a more mature audience. Pre-movie entertainment begins at 6PM. The first movie begins at 7PM. The second film begins around 9:30PM.
The 2017 Movies in the Park (#MITP) film lineup features:
- 7:00 PM Zootopia (PG)
- 9:30 PM Star Trek (PG-13)
- 7:00 Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (G)
- 9:30 PM Pan's Labyrinth (R)
- 7:00 PM Mrs. Doubtfire (PG-13)
- 9:30 PM Forrest Gump (PG-13)
- The Book of Life (PG)
- Jaws (PG)
- Selena (PG)
- The Bodyguard (R)
- Remember the Titans (PG)
- Pitch Perfect (PG-13)
DGRI will continue several event innovations introduced during the 2016 series. These include:
- Alternating nights of subtitles for Spanish-speaking attendees and people with hearing impairments. Spanish subtitles will accompany the films played on July 2, July 7 and August 4. English subtitles will accompany films played on June 16, July 21 and August 18.
- Continued partnership with the Coalition for Tobacco Free Parks to promote the importance of fresh-air, raise awareness of tobacco use and support clean parks.
- Continued partnership with the High Five Program to continue increasing recycling rates, divert waste from the landfill and works towards a zero waste event. Approximately 79 percent of waste generated during last year's event was recycled or composted.
The 2016 Movies in the Park series attracted more than 23,000 people and drove an estimated $445,945 in consumer spending into the Downtown economy. Overall DGRI leveraged approximately $24 in economic return to Downtown and participating businesses for every $1 invested to produce the events. Click here for the full 2016 event performance report.
Movie Night Basics
- All events are held at Ah-Nab-Awen Park in Downtown Grand Rapids.
- Events are free to the public.
- Pre-movie programming begins at 6PM, first film to start at 7PM followed by the second at 9:30PM.
- Bring your own blanket, chairs, beer, wine and snacks.
- Local food vendors will be on-site.
Movie Night Tips
To help movie goers enjoy the night out under the stars, here are a few quick tips:
- The park fills up fast, so get there early for the best spots.
- If you choose to drive, plan ahead for parking to avoid wasting time looking for a space.
- Free bike parking is available at the park.
- Costumes are encouraged.
- Nothing beats an ice cold one on a warm summer night. If you'd like to partake, be sure to bring your own drinks and picture ID.
- While packing up, you might as well make it a picnic in the park. If you forget food at home, vendors will have snacks for purchase.
- You'll be outside for a few hours, so get comfy. We suggest bringing a blanket or chairs to sit on. Blankets up front. Chairs in the back.
- Those under the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- You may love your ringtone, but that doesn't mean everyone else does. Please silence your phones.
- If you need to talk during the movie, please keep your voices low.
- The event is weather dependent. Follow Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on Facebook to stay up-to-date.