The first night of Movies in the Park 2017, presented by Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. and Grand Rapids Community Media Center, features Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory and Pan's Labyrinth on a giant LED video wall.
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (G) was originally released in 1971 and runs for 100 minutes. The film will be shown with English subtitles for the hearing-impaired community in metro GR.
Pan's Labyrinth (R) was originally released in 2006 and runs for 119 minutes. The film will be shown in Spanish with English subtitles.
The event is free and open to the public.
Friday, June 16, 2017. Follow Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on Facebook for detailed schedule of activities and event updates.
6PM - Free movie-themed activities begin. Highlights include:
- DJ Adrian Butler and Host Gabriella de la Vega of El Mundo Musical
- Candy-themed photo booth
- Take a photo with Willy Wonka as he strolls the park
- Enter for a chance to win prizes in the Golden Ticket Raffle
- Face painting provided by Van Singel Fine Arts Center
- Gilda's LaughFest presents the "Wonka Fizzy Lifting Drink Ring Toss"
- Professor Bird of the Pursuit of Ahhwesomeness presents: Pure Michimagination Break Dancing
7PM - Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory begins.
9:30PM - Pan's Labyrinth begins.
Ah-Nab-Awen Park, on the west bank of the Grand River, adjacent to Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum in Downtown Grand Rapids.
If you choose to drive, plan ahead for parking to avoid wasting time looking for a space.
Bike parking made available in the park if you choose to bike.
Movie Night Tips
To help movie goers enjoy the night out under the stars, here are a few quick tips:
- The park fills up fast, so get there early for the best spots.
- Nothing beats an ice cold one on a warm summer night. If you'd like to partake, be sure to bring your own drinks and picture ID.
- While packing up, you might as well make it a picnic in the park. If you choose not to bring food, vendors will have snacks for purchase.
- You'll be outside for a few hours, so get comfy. We suggest bringing a blanket or chairs to sit on.
- Those under the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- You may love your ringtone, but that doesn't mean everyone else does. Please silence your phones.
- If you need to talk during the movie, please keep your voices low.
- In the event of rain, we'll have to cancel the show. Follow Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on Facebook to stay up-to-date.
Willy Wonka Sponsors:
Pan's Labyrinth Sponsors: