The 1st annual World of Winter festival kicks off February 9, 2018. Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. (DGRI) and partners to host a full slate of winter activities in Downtown Grand Rapids.
The 8-day festival is designed to take advantage of Michigan’s cold climate, provide fun ways for people to get outside and enjoy the season and make Grand Rapids a better winter city, which makes Grand Rapids a better year-round city.
World of Winter comprises of a variety of free- and low-cost events that feature a wide variety of activities for both families and adults.
Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. organizes World of Winter in partnership with dozens of community partners, local businesses and sponsors, including Ice Brigade, Grand Rapids Running Tours, WOOD TV 8, Grand Rapids Sport & Social Club, Grand Rapids Art Museum, the Downtown Market and the City of Grand Rapids.
Here’s the full schedule of World of Winter activities. All events start and end at Rosa Parks Circle unless otherwise noted:
4:00 - 8:00 PM | Ice Bar: Olympic Games at the Downtown Market
5:00 - 11:30 PM | PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony
- Watch party with live ice carving
- World's Largest Game of Gaga Ball
5:00 PM | Valent-ICE Kick-Off
- Downtown gallery of 50+ ice sculptures
- Live ice carving demonstration
- 6:00 PM Ice Sculpture Walking Tour with Grand Rapids Running Tours
- 8:00 PM Athletes & All-Stars Walking Tour with Grand Rapids Running Tours
12:00 - 6:00 PM | ICE Breaker & Paint the Park
- Community crafted ice mural
- Live carving of community selected ice sculpture by Ice Guru Randy Finch
- Kids skate FREE
- Food trucks
- 11:00 AM Ice Sculpture Running Tour with Grand Rapids Running Tours
- 12:30, 2:30 & 5:30 PM Ice Sculpture Walking Tour with Grand Rapids Running Tours
- 12:00 - 6:00 PM Snowshoe Demonstration in Heartside Park
12:00 - 7:00 PM | Ice Bar: Olympic Games at the Downtown Market
12:00 - 4:00 PM | Ice Bar: Olympic Games at the Downtown Market
12:30 - 8:30 PM | Human Hungry Hungry Hippo Tournament
- 12:30-1:00 PM | Registration - Family Division
- 1:00 - 3:00 PM | Family Division Competition
- 3:00 - 3:30 PM | Family Division Awards Ceremony at Rosa Parks Circle
- 3:00 - 3:30 PM | Registration - Adult Division
- 3:30 - 8:00 PM | Adult Division Competition
- 8:00 - 8:30 PM | Adult Division Awards Ceremony (location TBD)
- 1:30, 4:00 PM Ice Sculpture Walking Tour with Grand Rapids Running Tours
12:00 - 8:00 PM |Monday in Motion
- Snowga (yoga in the snow!) in Ah-Nab-Awen Park provided by Gazelle Girl
- Beats on the Blue Bridge with Professor Bird
- 12:00, 5:30 PM Black History Walking Tour with Grand Rapids Running Tours
12:00 - 9:00 PM |Snow Globe Experience
- Fabulous Functions presentsLGBTQ Speed Dating at San Chez
- 5:00 - 8:00 PM Snowshoe Demonstration in Heartside Park
- 5:00 - 9:00 PM GR Pop Up Shop in the Rosa Parks Circle warming tent
6:00 - 10:00 PM |Love on ICE
- FREE professional photographs of Valentine's couples
- 2-for-1 ice skate rental
12:00 - 1:30 PM |Relax at Rosa on ICE
- FREE ice skate rental
- Food trucks
- Live acoustic musical performance featuring Gabrial James
- 12:00 PM GR Culture Walking Tour with Grand Rapids Running Tours
6:00 - 10:00 PM |Grand Rapids Lunar New Year
- The Chinese Association of West Michigan (CAWM) presents the inaugural cultural celebration Downtown.
Full list of participating Valent-ICE businesses coming soon.
Map of Ice
Click here or see below for a map of ice sculptures around Downtown.
Hard copies of the full World of Winter map and guide also available at the 50+ participating locations and the Rosa Parks Circle skate rental hub.