The purpose of the Graphic Design Intern is to support the Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. (DGRI) staff in planning and designing promotional materials. The overall goal of the position is to enhance the administrative and creative functions of DGRI's marketing and event initiatives. The position provides support to the Communications department and presents an opportunity to directly assist an experienced communications team. This is a meaningful opportunity to learn and hone skills in concept development and creative design while working in a highly collaborative environment.
- Supports the Communications department with administrative tasks primarily related to marketing and events.
- Based on provided direction, designs collateral materials and digital pieces for events and other projects and initiatives. The process includes creating concepts with rough layouts for art and copy, obtaining approvals and preparing files for production.
- Supports social media accounts through the creation of custom-design elements, such as cover photos, event page banners and other visual assets that support overall organizational communications.
- Assists in the completion of projects by coordinating with outside agencies, art services, printers, etc.
- Ensures deadlines are met.
- Provides additional support as needed. May include administrative duties, photography or design-related assistance.
- Contributes to team effort by participating in other projects as needed.
- High level of expertise using Adobe Creative Suite including Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Adobe Acrobat.
- Creative skills in preparing layouts and working within brand guidelines.
- Professional demeanor.
- Must be highly attentive to details.
- Must be flexible and adaptable.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Organizational and prioritization skills, with the ability to meet deadlines and manage multi-step projects in a fast-paced environment. Excellent task management and follow-through.
- Ability to think creatively and solve problems independently while providing an atmosphere of confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to work successfully with diverse groups.
- Experience using Adobe Dreamweaver and After Effects.
- Photography skills.
- Knowledge of HTML.
- Previous experience with a business office or nonprofit organization.
EQUIPMENT TO BE USED
MacBook and/or PC, printer and scanner.
The Graphic Design Intern will work in the intern designated space of the DGRI administrative office in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. The Graphic Design Intern may be required to interface with business and property owners, residents, community members, government staff, vendors and professional service providers from time to time.
Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to complying with State and Federal laws including fair employment practice laws which provide equal opportunity in employment to all persons regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, veteran status or disability.
April 9, 2018 - July 13, 2018
The Graphic Design Intern will work a flexible schedule of 20-24 hours a week.
The Graphic Design Intern in a non-exempt employee. Compensation shall be $15.00 per hour worked.
Send cover letter, resume, references and 5-10 portfolio examples to Jennie Schumacher at email@example.com by March 23, 2018. No phone calls please.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.