Movies on Monroe 2018, presented by Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. features The Princess Bride and The Big Lebowski on a giant LED video wall at 555 Monroe Ave NW.
The Princess Bride (PG) was originally released in 1987 and runs for 98 minutes. The film will be shown in English with Spanish subtitles.
The Big Lebowski (R) was originally released in 1998 and runs for 117 minutes. The film will be shown in English with Spanish subtitles.
The event is free and open to the public.
Friday, June 22, 2018. Follow Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on Facebook for detailed schedule of activities and event updates.
6:30 PM - FREE movie-themed activities begin. Highlights include:
- DJ Adrian Butler and host Gabriella de la Vega of El Mundo Musical
- Dance performance by Bird Clarkson
- The first 100 attendees at the event win an inflatable sword so they can train like Westley and Inigo Montoya
- Take a photo with Princess Buttercup, The Dude and Maude
- Chances to win great Downtown prizes like a $50 gift card to the Downtown Market, tickets to see Sugarland at the Van Andel Arena and more!
- Play in the inflatable castle bounce house
- Bowl like the Dude along the river
- Go for a cruise on the Pirates Revenge Ride
- Visit the partner booths for various movie-themed activities
- Check out the event on Facebook for information on more activities!
7:30 PM - The Princess Bride begins.
9:40 PM* - The Big Lebowski begins.
555 Monroe Ave. NW, on the east bank of the Grand River, adjacent to Speak EZ Lounge and north of Interstate I-196.
If you choose to drive, plan ahead for parking to avoid wasting time looking for a space. There are 1,000s of public parking spots available in the Monroe North neighborhood within walking distance of Movies on Monroe.
Bike parking provided by Driving Change made available at the event if you choose to bike.
The DASH North bus drops you off and picks you up right in front of the event. DASH North route runs late on event nights, ensuring you a good park-n-ride experience.
4 Rapid bus routes drop you off within an under 5 minute walk to the event.
Movie Night Basics
- Events are free to the public.
- Pre-movie programming begins at 6:30 PM, first film to start at 7:30 PM followed by the second shortly after the first ends.
- Bring your own chairs, beer, wine and snacks.
- Chair rental provided by Friends of Grand Rapids Parks available on-site for $2. Cash and cards accepted.
- Local food vendors will be on-site.
Movie Night Tips
To help movie goers enjoy the night out under the stars, here are a few quick tips:
- The space fills up fast, so get there early for the best spots.
- Nothing beats an ice cold one on a warm summer night. If you’d like to partake, be sure to bring your own drinks and picture ID.
- While packing up, you might as well make it a picnic. If you choose not to bring food, vendors will have snacks for purchase.
- You’ll be outside for a few hours, so get comfy. We suggest bringing your own chair to sit on. Lower chairs in front, higher in back. Chair rental provided by Friends of Grand Rapids Parks available on-site for $2.
- Those under the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- You may love your ringtone, but that doesn’t mean everyone else does. Please silence your phones.
- This is a smoke-free event series.
- If you need to talk during the movie, please keep your voices low.
- In the event of rain, we’ll have to cancel the show. Follow Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on Facebook to stay up-to-date.
Title Sponsor – The Princess Bride
- The Rapid
Title Sponsor - The Big Lewboski
- Bridge Street Market
- Disability Advocates of Kent County
- Grand Rapids Pride Festival
- Latino Community Coalition
- LINC Up
- Monroe North Business Association
- Charlesbrook Protection Services
- The City of Grand Rapids
- The Downtown Market
- Driving Change
- Friends of Grand Rapids Parks
- Grand Rapids Food Truck Association
- Kent County Health Connect - Tobacco Free Parks
- Lions & Rabbits Art Gallery
- Linear Restaurant
- Literacy Center of West Michigan
- Local First of West Michigan
- Mobile GR
- MSU Gran Fondo
- The Rapid
- Studio C