Movies on Monroe 2018, presented by Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. features West Side Story and The Shape of Water on a giant LED video wall at 555 Monroe Ave NW.
West Side Story (G) was originally released in 1961 and runs for 153 minutes. The film will be shown in English with Spanish subtitles.
The Shape of Water (R) was originally released in 2017 and runs for 123 minutes. The film will be shown in English with Spanish subtitles.
The event is free and open to the public.
Friday, July 20, 2018. Follow Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on Facebook for detailed schedule of activities and event updates.
6:30 PM - FREE movie-themed activities begin. Highlights include:
- DJ Ace Marasigan and host Gabriella de la Vega of El Mundo Musical
- Dance performance by Bird Clarkson
- Chance to win great prizes like tickets to a show at 20 Monroe Live, a gift card to the Downtown Market and more!
- Take a picture with Buckets from the Grand Rapids Drive
- Learn to dance with the Grand Rapids Original Swing Society
- Live ice carving by Ice Guru Randy Finch
- Check out the event on Facebook for information on more activities!
7:30 PM - West Side Story begins.
10:00 PM* - The Shape of Water begins.
555 Monroe Ave. NW, on the east bank of the Grand River, adjacent to Speak EZ Lounge and north of Interstate-196.
If you choose to drive, plan ahead for parkingto avoid wasting time looking for a space. There are 1,000s of public parking spots available in the Monroe North neighborhood within walking distance of Movies on Monroe.
Bike parking provided by Driving Change made available at the event if you choose to bike.
The DASH North bus drops you off and picks you up right in front of the event. DASH North route runs late on event nights, ensuring you a good park-n-ride experience.
4 Rapid bus routes drop you off within an under 5 minute walk to the event.
Movie Night Basics
- Events are free to the public.
- Pre-movie programming begins at 6:30 PM, first film to start at 7:30 followed by the second shortly after the first ends.
- Bring your own chairs, beer, wine and snacks.
- Chair rental provided by Friends of Grand Rapids Parks available on-site for $2. Cash and cards accepted.
- Local food vendors will be on-site.
Movie Night Tips
To help movie goers enjoy the night out under the stars, here are a few quick tips:
- The space fills up fast, so get there early for the best spots.
- Nothing beats an ice cold one on a warm summer night. If you'd like to partake, be sure to bring your own drinks and picture ID.
- While packing up, you might as well make it a picnic. If you choose not to bring food, vendors will have snacks for purchase.
- You'll be outside for a few hours, so get comfy. We suggest bringing your own chair to sit on. Lower chairs in front, higher in back. Chair rental provided by Friends of Grand Rapids Parks available on-site for $2.
- Those under the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- You may love your ringtone, but that doesn't mean everyone else does. Please silence your phones.
- This is a smoke-free event series.
- If you need to talk during the movie, please keep your voices low.
- In the event of rain, we'll have to cancel the show. Follow Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on Facebook to stay up-to-date.
Title Sponsor - West Side Story
- Disability Advocates of Kent County
- Grand Rapids Pride Festival
- Latino Community Coalition
- LINC Up
- Monroe North Business Association
- 20 Monroe Live
- Charlesbrook Protection Services
- The City of Grand Rapids
- Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services
- The Downtown Market
- Driving Change
- Friends of Grand Rapids Parks
- Grand Rapids Drive
- Grand Rapids Food Truck Association
- Grand Rapids Original Swing Society
- Healing Touch
- Ice Brigade
- Kent County Health Connect - Tobacco Free Parks
- Liberty Footwear Inc.
- Lions & Rabbits Art Gallery
- Local First of West Michigan
- Mobile GR
- MSU Gran Fondo
- The Rapid
- Studio C
- Zoko 822