Making Your Event Easier
Downtown Grand Rapids offers numerous venues and tools to help plan and pull off a wide range of events, from wedding receptions to major festivals.
Five Steps to Getting Started
- Google "Tips for Successful Event Planning" and bone up on the basics.
- Determine where you prefer to hold your event. A park, street, pedestrian bridge or some other City property? Or non-City property such as a hotel, convention center, or local university?
- If non-City property, see the sample list of downtown venue options below.
- If City property, contact the Office of Special Events (OSE) at the City of Grand Rapids. The OSE will help identify venue options and available dates. The OSE also assists with event permitting, equipment rental, street closure requests, and other city-related issues.
- Once you have secured a date, a venue, and any necessary permits, your event may be eligible for financial support. Read and complete Downtown Grand Rapids Inc's Event Sponsorship Application in the section below to determine if your event qualifies.
Event Management Program
One-day course hosted by Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. (DGRI) and the City of Grand Rapids provides essential knowledge and tools to organize successful public and private events of any size in the City of Grand Rapids..
Program covers all City of Grand Rapids and Office of Special Events requirements for permits, park rental, equipment and more as well as cover DGRI's Sponsorship Program, how to advertise and market events, how to team up with community partners, food trucks and more.
This opportunity is free and open to the public, specifically event organizers, volunteers and staff.
Participants will receive a Certificate of Completion after the full day training.
Upcoming Event Management Program Dates:
Event Sponsorship Application
The Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. (DGRI) Event Sponsorship Program is designed to encourage events that enhance Downtown's energy, diversity and fun. Download the application below to learn more about the program.
Sampling of Non City-Owned Venues Downtown
- Amway Grand Plaza
- The Ballroom at McKay- McKay Tower
- The B.O.B
- Bistro Bella Vita
- Courtyard by Marriot
- City Flats Ballroom
- DeVos Place
- Founders Brewing Co.
- Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum
- Grand Rapids Public Museum
- Grand Valley State University Pew Campus
- Harris Building
- JW Marriot
- Mosaic Space
- St. Georges Banquet Center
- Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts
- Western Michigan University - Grand Rapids