Do Good Have Fun
Motu viget, a Latin phrase meaning "strength in activity," is the City of Grand Rapids' motto. In this spirit the community welcomes and rewards people who take an active role improving the City and the lives of her citizens. There are many ways to get involved, participate purposefully and make the City and your neighborhood better.
Residents have a real opportunity to make positive change in Grand Rapids. Getting involved also provides opportunity to meet your neighbors, make social and professional connections, acquire new skills and help solve problems or seize opportunity for you and your community. Here below is a sampling of civic groups active in the Downtown neighborhoods.
- Arena District GR works to build collaboration among downtown restaurants and cultural institutions.
- Avenue for the Arts works to grow the creative community and commercial success along the South Division corridor.
- Downtown Residents Network is a forum for Downtown neighbors to socialize, learn and engage neighborhood issues.
- Downtown Dwellers is a group of downtown residents focused on enriching quality of life.
- GR Forward Goal 1 Alliance advises Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on efforts to restore and revitalize the Grand River corridor.
- GR Forward Goal 2 Alliance advises Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on efforts to build a true Downtown neighborhood.
- GR Forward Goal 3 Alliance advises Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. to implement a 21st century mobility strategy.
- GR Forward Goal 4 Alliance advises Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on efforts to strengthen the Downtown economy.
- GR Forward Goal 5 Alliance advises Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on investments in parks, public spaces and programming.
- Heartside Business Association supports and promotes businesses in the Heartside neighborhood.
- Heritage Hill Neighborhood Association provides residents a forum to build a healthy, historically preserved neighborhood.
- Monroe North Business Association supports and promote businesses in the Monroe North neighborhood.
- Catholic Charities operates God's Kitchen in the Heartside neighborhood.
- Degage is a Christian social service organization.
- Dwelling Place focuses on projects and events to improve quality of life in the Heartside neighborhood.
- Friends of Parks organizes a variety of events and activities to enhance local parks and green space.
- Greater Grand Rapids Bicycle Coalition works to make GR a more bike-friendly city.
- Guiding Light Mission is a Christian social service organization.
- Heartside Ministry is a Christian social service organization
- Mel Trotter Ministries is a Christian social service organization.
- ServeGR connects you with local volunteer opportunities that play to your strengths, use your passion and fit your schedule.
- The Red Project leads local HIV prevention services.
- The Spoke Folks is a co-op focused on growing local bicycle knowledge and community.
- United Way connects volunteers to community groups that need help.
- Westside Community Clean Up is an annual event to get down and dirty with Westside neighbors.
- WMEAC organizes a variety of intiiatives to boost environmental stewardship, including the annual Mayor's Grand River Cleanup.
- BLEND is a gateway for young professional of color to learn, network, grow and engage.
- Friendly Code is a group of citizens who work to help civic groups adopt open web technologies.
- Grand Rapids Area Professionals for Excellence provides learning, networking and collaboration opportunities for GR professionals.
- Grand Rapids Sport and Social Club is a network of physically and socially active Grand Rapidians.
- Grand Rapids Young Professionals is a forum for professionals aged 21-40.
- Inside Grand Rapids is a fast-track orientation program for newcomers to GR managed by the GR Area Chamber.
- Leadership Grand Rapids is a program to enhance and connect leaders from the private, nonprofit and government sectors.
- Local First is a network of entrepreneurs and citizens supporting and promoting locally owned businesses.
- Young Nonprofit Professionals Network provides nonprofit leaders professional development and networking opportunities.