Movies on Monroe, formerly Movies in the Park, is the premier outdoor film series in Grand Rapids. DGRI and partners present films - free of charge - on a giant video wall along the banks of the Grand River every other Friday from June thru August. Guests are invited to treat the evening like a picnic and bring your own blanket, chairs, beer, wine and snacks for a special night under the stars. Gates open at 6:00 PM. Pre-movie entertainment begins at 6:30 PM. First film starts at 7: 30 PM followed by an additional feature shortly after the first ends.
2018 Film Lineup
June 8, 2018
- The Greatest Showman (PG)
- Big (PG)
June 22, 2018
- The Princess Bride (PG)
- The Big Lebowski (R)
July 6, 2018
- Major Payne (PG-13)
- Saving Private Ryan (R)
July 20, 2018
- West Side Story (G)
- The Shape of Water (R)
August 3, 2018
- Shrek (PG)
- Hidden Figures (PG)
August 17, 2018
- Wonder Woman (PG-13)
- Black Panther (PG-13)
Movie Night Tips
Fully enjoy your night out by remembering these quick tips:
- The space fills up fast, so get there early for the best spots.
- If you choose to drive, plan ahead for parking to avoid wasting time looking for a space. There are 1,000s of public parking spots available in the Monroe North neighborhood within walking distance of Movies on Monroe.
- Free bike parking is available at the event, sponsored by Driving Change.
- The DASH North bus drops you off and picks you up right in front of the event. DASH North route runs late on event nights, ensuring you a good park-n-ride experience.
- 4 Rapid bus routes drop you off within an under 5 minute walk to the event.
- Costumes are encouraged.
- Nothing beats an ice cold one on a warm summer night. If you'd like to partake, be sure to bring your own drinks and picture ID.
- While packing up, you might as well make it a picnic in the lot. If you forget food at home, vendors will have snacks for purchase.
- You'll be outside for a few hours, so get comfy. We suggest bringing chairs to sit on. Shorter chairs up front, taller chairs in the back. Affordable chair rental provided by Friends of Grand Rapids Parks available on-site.
- Those under the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- You may love your ringtone, but that doesn't mean everyone else does. Please silence your phones.
- This is a smoke-free event series.
- If you need to talk during the movie, please keep your voices low.
- The event is weather dependent. Follow Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on social media to stay up-to-date.