Movies on Monroe, the premier outdoor film series in Grand Rapids, returns this summer with big screen entertainment on the banks of the Grand River.
The popular outdoor film series kicks off June 7, 2019 on City of Grand Rapids property located at 555 Monroe Ave NW in the Monroe North neighborhood.
The lineup showcases six nights of double features:
June 7 (English subtitles)
- Beetlejuice (PG)
- Bohemian Rhapsody (PG-13)
June 21 (Spanish subtitles)
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (PG)
- A Star is Born (R)
July 12 (English subtitles)
- Matilda (PG)
- Crazy Rich Asians (PG-13)
July 26 (Spanish subtitles)
- Hotel Transylvania 3 (PG)
- A Quiet Place (PG-13)
August 9 (English subtitles)
- Mean Girls (PG-13)
- 10 Things I Hate About You (PG-13)
August 23 (Spanish subtitles)
- Space Jam (PG)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens (PG-13)
Movie Night Basics
- All events are free and open to the public.
- Gates open at 6:00 PM with pre-movie entertainment hosted by Gabrielle de la Vega of WYCE’s El Mundo Musical and DJ AB.
- The first movie starts at 7:30 PM followed by a quick intermission, and then the second film.
- Movies will play on 400-square foot LED video wall presented in partnership with LiveSpace.
- Movie goers are encouraged to bring their own chairs, beer, wine and snacks. Rental lawn chairs will be available for $2 care of Friends of Grand Rapids Parks.
- Food trucks will be on-site and various snacks will be available for purchase at the event.
- Alternating nights of English and Spanish subtitles for Spanish-speaking attendees and people with hearing impairments.
- Pets are welcome!
- This is a smoke-free event series.
- Costumes are encouraged.
- Nothing beats an ice cold one on a warm summer night. If you'd like to partake, be sure to bring your own drinks and picture ID.
- All events are weather dependent. Stay tuned to DGRI's social channels for updates (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
Movie Night Tips
To help movie goers enjoy the night out under the stars, here are a few quick tips:
- The space fills up fast, so arrive early for the best spots!
- If you choose to drive, plan ahead for parking to avoid wasting time looking for a space. There are many public parking spots available in the Monroe North neighborhood within walking distance of Movies on Monroe.
- Free bike parking is available at the event.
- The DASH North bus drops you off and picks you up right in front of the event. The route runs late on event nights, ensuring you a good park-n-ride experience.
- 4 Rapid bus routes drop you off within an under 5 minute walk to the event.
- You may as well make it a picnic on the Monroe lot! If you forget food at home, vendors will have snacks for purchase.
- You will be outside for a few hours, so get comfy. We suggest bringing chairs to sit on. Shorter chairs stay up front, taller chairs stay in the back. As mentioned, affordable chair rental is available on-site for $2, provided by Friends of Grand Rapids Parks.
- Those under the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- You may love your ringtone, but that doesn't mean everyone else does. Please silence your phones.