Downtown Grand Rapids Inc., in collaboration with the City of Grand Rapids, seeks proposals to conduct Design Development, Final Design, Construction Documents and Bidding Services for the renovation of Lyon Square and Lyon Street in Downtown Grand Rapids.
The collaboration also involves representatives from Amway Hotel Corporation, the Kent County Convention and Arena Authority and private sector partners.
Lyon Square is a City of Grand Rapids Park located at the terminus of Lyon Street at the Grand River and currently includes an amphitheater and river walk. Lyon Street includes everything west of Monroe Avenue up to Lyon Square and includes public space adjacent to the Amway Grand Plaza, Windquest, Exhibitors Building, and the Convention Center. Refer to the aerial photo below for the approximate location of the project area.
While one project, Lyon Square and Lyon Street reconstruction have different priorities and opportunities.
The Lyon Square portion of the project has the following goals:
- To provide enhanced green space through the design and installation of canopy trees, landscape planters and green infrastructure.
- To provide more opportunities to linger near the river by creating public seating, event space, outdoor lighting, and new paving.
- To improve the existing portion of the Grand River trail.
- To supplement and enhance prior interventions at The Kitchen by Wolfgang Puck.
The Lyon Street portion of the project has the following goals:
- To provide a new snowmelt system.
- To provide enhanced public space activation and meaningful public space connection through a design that is informed by the business and property owners along the street.
- Provide more opportunities to linger in the space by creating public seating, outdoor cafe seating, event space, outdoor lighting, and new paving. Infrastructure enhancements, such as increased electrical outlets and utility connections, may be required to support the increased activation.
- Balance the service needs related to drop-offs and trash storage/removal for the hotel and Convention Center with the design of a high-quality and activated pedestrian space. This may include the design of shared street space as part of the solution.
All interested consultants are encouraged to send an email to Mark Miller (email@example.com) to register their intent to respond to this RFP. All firms expressing interest will be added to an email distribution list and will be notified if additional information related to the RFP becomes available. Firms failing to register in this manner may not receive all information relevant to the preparation of their proposals.
Any questions regarding the proposal may be submitted by email to Mark Miller. Questions may be submitted up until 5:00 PM Friday, August 21, 2020. Responses will be sent to all registered participants no later than 5:00 PM on Tuesday, August 25, 2020.
Proposal and Process Dates
A digital copy of the proposal in PDF format is due by 1:00 PM on Tuesday, September 1, 2020, and shall be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.