Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. (DGRI) is in search of a Project Manager to support the long-term planning and management of public space design, development, construction, and maintenance. Reporting to the Managing Director of Planning & Design, our Project Manager will communicate and work in partnership with the development community and the public regarding current and proposed planning, infrastructure, parks, and open space development.
The deadline to apply is August 30, 2021.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Deeply understand the GR Forward plan to guide the next generation of growth in Downtown.
- Collaborate with community partners and stakeholders to administer, plan, and manage projects and programs intended to catalyze development and investment in Downtown Grand Rapids.
- Advise, consult, and provide information regarding project activities including project schedules, milestones, progression toward goals, budgets and other unforeseen challenges or opportunities.
- Maintain excellent customer service protocols, facilitating the resolution of concerns, requests, and suggestions from community members.
- Coordinate activities with other departments and outside agencies and organizations; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Participate in the development and administration of the budget; track and monitor project expenditures and recommend adjustments as needs arise.
- Prepare and disseminate meeting announcements, agendas, minutes, and supplementary materials; prepare original correspondence and maintain organizational files.
- Make presentations before DGRI boards plus external commissions and community organizations.
Our ideal candidate will have these credentials:
- Bachelor's degree in urban planning, public administration, project management, public policy, civil engineering, landscape architecture, or another related field.
- Minimum 3 years experience of increasing responsibility in at least one of the following areas:
- Economic / Community Development
- Project Management
- Architecture or Engineering
- Urban Planning
- Public Administration
- Intermediate/advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Demonstrated passion for city development and downtown revitalization.
- Experience with Tax Increment Finance tools, State grants, and associated programs.
- Professional demeanor coupled with excellent interpersonal skills to perform positive interactions with volunteers, board members, their staff, and other public, private, and non-profit partners.
- Team-oriented with demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse groups.
- Demonstrated organizational and prioritization skills, with the ability to multitask, meet deadlines and manage multi-step projects in a fast-paced environment. Results-oriented. Exhibit a sense of urgency, when necessary, excellent task management, and follow-through.
- Must be highly attentive to detail, work with a strong emphasis on accuracy and quick turnaround while being flexible and adaptable.
- Must be capable of working independently with little supervision.
Here's what we're offering the right candidate:
- An opportunity to develop things that matter in our city! You'll have exposure to exciting events, projects and developments and help to redefine our skyline.
- A fun and flexible culture. Our diverse team works hard and has a good time doing it.
- Competitive compensation
- Medical & Dental Insurance
- Life insurance
- Short- & long-term disability insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Gym membership discounts and other wellness initiatives
- Employee Assistance Program
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Opportunities to grow and develop your career
The mission of Downtown Grand Rapids, Inc. is to accelerate Downtown GR's transition to a best-in-class American city. While a small, yet mighty organization, our growing team works hard with a wide array of community partners to build an increasingly vibrant downtown with great recreational experiences, high quality of life for people from all walks of life and a strong inclusive economy. You may be familiar with some of our work:
- GR Forward DGRI and partners led the development of this award-winning community plan and investment strategy to transform the Grand River into a distinct asset and guide the next generation of growth in Downtown Grand Rapids. Now we are busy making the vision a reality with the rehabilitation of Lyon Square and the new Switchback Park on the horizon.
- The Van Andel Arena, Downtown Market and DeVos Place Convention Center We helped build the facilities and accelerate the revitalization of Downtown.
- Movies on Monroe, Relax at Rosa, World of Winter. Yep. That's us. We strive to activate downtown year-round with events highlighting art, music, culture, and inclusivity. We've also expanded Downtown public amenities with a public restroom, dog park, skate park and established a Refreshment Area to complement and activate our Downtown public spaces.
To learn more about our work, read our GR Forward Master Plan.