Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. is in search of an Activation Manager to create unique placemaking experiences and administer, develop, and manage various activation programs and projects. Reporting to the Director of Public Space Management, this individual will drive activation initiatives, re-design and re-establish grant programs, and create a more formalized outreach program to advance our mission of developing a vibrant, engaged and connected downtown community.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in arts, design, planning or a related field (preferred), or equivalent relevant experience.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in municipal government, urban place management, or convention, event, community non-profit, or hospitality services.
- Have three (3) years or more of community engagement experience.
- Demonstrate a passion for city-building and downtown revitalization.
- Be responsible for community outreach and development.
- Help curate, organize and implement public art initiatives for DGRI, partners, and grantees.
- Manage the Activate This Place and World of Winter grant programs.
- Be energetic, proactive and solutions-oriented with a bias toward action in order to manage multiple projects and priorities while creating art and placemaking installations on a deadline.
- Assist in all placemaking installations, efforts, and DGRI events.
- Manage vendor bidding and selection processes, negotiate and administer contracts with outside vendors for maximum service and cost-effectiveness.
Here's what we're offering the right candidate:
- An opportunity to affect things that matter in our city! You'll have exposure to exciting events, projects and developments and help to redefine our skyline.
- A fun and flexible culture. Our diverse team works hard and has a good time doing it.
- Competitive compensation
- Medical & Dental Insurance
- Life insurance
- Short & long term disability insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Gym membership discounts and other wellness initiatives
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Opportunities to grow and develop your career
The mission of Downtown Grand Rapids, Inc. is to accelerate Downtown GR's transition to a best-in-class American city. While a small, yet mighty organization, our growing team works hard with a wide array of community partners to build an increasingly vibrant downtown with great recreational experiences, high quality of life for people from all walks of life and a strong inclusive economy. You may be familiar with some of our work:
- GR Forward DGRI and partners led the development of this award-winning community plan and investment strategy to transform the Grand River into a distinct asset and guide the next generation of growth in Downtown Grand Rapids. Now we are busy making the vision a reality with the rehabilitation of Lyon Square and the new Switchback Park on the horizon.
- The Van Andel Arena, Downtown Market and DeVos Place Convention Center We helped build the facilities and accelerate the revitalization of Downtown.
- Movies on Monroe, Relax at Rosa, World of Winter. Yep. That's us. We strive to activate downtown year-round with events highlighting art, music, culture, and inclusivity. We've also expanded Downtown public amenities with a public restroom, dog park, skate park and established a Refreshment Area to complement and activate our Downtown public spaces.
To learn more about our work, read our GR Forward Master Plan.