DGRI President/CEO Kristopher Larson compiles a monthly report for the organization's Leadership Network to promote accountability, clearly communicate progress and keep our collective efforts focused on results. Here's the February report:
DGRI Board of Advisors (Meets 2/11/16)
- Will receive alignment updates from Experience GR and Mayor’s office
- Will consider appointment of Alliances
- Will consider 2016 cost allocation methodology
- Will receive an update from urban tree canopy committee
DDA Board of Directors (Meets 2/10/16)
- Will consider value engineering exercise for Veteran’s Park
- Will consider appointment for TIF Plan committee
- Will receive recommendation on Calder Plaza consulting team
- Will consider a liquor license for new Downtown Market eatery
- Will consider support for St. Cecilia Music Center renovations
- Will receive a briefing on DGRI Organizational Performance Measures
Monroe North TIFA Board of Directors (Met 11/11/15)
- Approved and Recommended Final GR Forward
DID Board of Directors (Met 12/7/15)
- Recommended Amended FY16 DID Budget to City Commission
Alliance for Investment (Meets 2/9)
- Chair: Nikos Monoyios, Long Range Planner @ The Rapid
- Priority Planning Activity
Alliance for Vibrancy (Met 1/20)
- Chair – Brandy Moeller, City of Grand Rapids
- Discussed outcome measurement of winter programming, working group discussions
Alliance for Livability (Met 1/25)
- Chair: Lynee Wells, Principal @ Williams & Works
- Working Group Discussions:
- Clean/Safe/Beautiful – Monroe North Gateway: RFP goals, proposed steering committee
- Engagement – Signal Box Art Project: concept goals/parameters, partnership scan; Residents Council: re-engagement plan (Annamarie Buller will lead discussion)
- Mobility – Local sidewalk closure policy review and comparison, plan development for policy enhancements; update on Downtown mobility initiatives (Kirk)
- Urban Recreation – Skatepark update and planning discussion, design RFP goals
DGRI Staff Highlights
Events / Marketing / Communications
- Black History Month Commemoration
- Launched messaging campaign surrounding Black History Month
- Public information campaign on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to recognize and honor African American contributions in Grand Rapids.
- Community has enthusiastically engaged the campaign, reaching nearly 110,000 people, generating nearly 700 “shares” and 2,000 “likes” on Facebook in the first week of posts.
- Campaign also driving new followers to DGRI platforms, including for example nearly 500 new Facebook followers in first week.
- ValentICE – Feb 12-14
- Event emerging as one of Michigan’s Top 5 ice sculpture festivals.
- Nearly 70 partnering businesses and organizations
- This year’s event features 50+ ice sculptures and 30,000 pounds of ice – double the amount of ice on display in 2015.
- The community sculpture selected by public vote will be the tallest (12 feet) ice sculpture in any Michigan festival this year.
- Other sculpture highlights include:
- 7 foot Grand Budapest Hotel at MadCap;
- 35-foot ice bar at the Downtown Market;
- Wishing well filled with frozen pennies guessing game sponsored by Springthrough.
- Supporting Broomball leagues via partnership with GRSSC
- Cancelled plans for Cannonsburg in the City event Feb 7 due to (warm) weather
- Collaborating with Grand Rapids Public Library on Feb 21 Taste of Soul Event
- Completing event planning for Mar 6 Hungry Hungry Hippo Tournament
- Working with community partners to finalize 2016 Movies in the Park lineup
Planning / Development
- Sending GR Forward for limited print run
- Collaborating with City of GR area 4/5 transition plan and mobility initiatives
- Finalizing Calder Plaza consultant interviews, selection process
- Advancing refinement of Lyon Square conceptual designs from GR Forward
- State Tax Increment Finance Reform – Hosting delegation of legislators for tour of GR successes