Downtown Ambassadors are your concierge on the street. Don't hesitate to stop them for directions, information about events, places to eat, an umbrella escort when it's raining or other assistance.
Attired in distinct teal and blue uniforms, the Ambassador team is comprised of local citizens who share a common affinity for Downtown and an intimate understanding of what's happening around the neighborhood.
Ambassadors are unarmed and operate – on foot, bicycle, and Segway – in the downtown district seven days a week, 360+ days a year, generally between the hours of 7AM and 3AM.
For assistance call (616) 250-8263 to reach the Ambassador on duty.
Downtown Ambassador duties include but are not limited to:
- Help visitors with directions and information.
- Support Downtown business owners and managers.
- Help connect social services to people who need them.
- Report crime to the Grand Rapids Police Department.
- Escort people walking to Downtown destinations.
- Report streetscape repair issues and graffiti removal.
Each Downtown Ambassador is specially trained in:
- CPR/FA Training - American Heart Association
- Mental Health First Aid Training - Network 180
- Certified Tourist Ambassador Training - Experience GR
- Helpful Charity Initiative - Heartside Neighborhood Collaboration Project
- Overdose Response Training - The Red Project/Clean Works
- Co-Occuring and Homelessness - Facilitated through HNCP
- CERT (Community Emergency Response Training) - Police/Fire/EMS First Responders
Annual Performance Reports
How to Become an Ambassador
The Ambassador program is adminsitered by Block-by-Block, a national firm that manages similar programs in more than 65 American cities. If you're interested to explore becoming an Ambassador, apply on their website.
The program employs approximately 5-10 Ambassadors at any given time. But we are always happy to accept applications from aspiring team members.