The Downtown Ambassadors are a dedicated team of dynamic and responsive professionals that keep Downtown clean, beautiful and friendly.
Attired in distinct teal and blue uniforms, the Ambassador team is comprised of local citizens who share a common affinity for Downtown and an intimate understanding of what's happening around the neighborhood.
Downtown Ambassadors are on the job 7 days per week. Don't hesitate to stop them for directions, information about events, places to eat, an umbrella escort when it's raining or other assistance.
Call (616) 250-8263 to reach the Ambassador on duty.
Roles & Resources
Downtown Ambassador duties include but are not limited to:
- Help visitors with directions and information.
- Support Downtown business owners and managers.
- Help connect social services to people who need them.
- Report crime to the Grand Rapids Police Department.
- Escort people walking to Downtown destinations.
- Report streetscape repair issues and graffiti removal.
- Remove snow around parking meters, fire hydrants and pedestrian crossings.
- Remove trash and graffiti from Downtown.
- Plant and water Downtown flowers and greenery.
Trainings & Certifications
The Downtown Ambassadors as a team are specially trained in:
- CPR/FA Training - American Heart Association
- Mental Health First Aid Training - Network 180
- Certified Tourist Ambassador Training - Experience GR
- Helpful Charity Initiative - Heartside Neighborhood Collaboration Project
- Overdose Response Training - The Red Project/Clean Works
- Co-Occuring and Homelessness - Facilitated through HNCP
- Human Trafficking Awareness - Michigan Department of Justice
- CERT (Community Emergency Response Training) - Police/Fire/EMS First Responders
Annual Performance Reports
All documents in PDF format unless otherwise noted.
How to Become an Ambassador
The Ambassador program is adminsitered by Block-by-Block, a national firm that manages similar programs in more than 65 American cities. If you're interested to explore becoming an Ambassador, apply on their website.
The program employs approximately 5-10 Ambassadors at any given time. But we are always happy to accept applications from aspiring team members.