Reimagining Calder Plaza
GR Forward revealed Grand Rapidians aspire to make the large plaza surrounding the Kent County Administration Building, Grand Rapids City Hall and La Grande Vitesse more inviting and comfortable for people to use everyday. This collaborative community process is designed to reimagine this important public park space and realize the plaza’s full potential. The process is facilitated by Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. in partnership with Kent County and the City of Grand Rapids.
Working Draft Project Goals
- Leverage the plaza to its fullest potential.
- Establish a world class public space.
- Honor the plaza’s cultural heritage.
- Improve access and mobility.
- Embrace the plaza’s historic role as a governmental plaza.
- Activate the plaza during all seasons.
- Catalyze future development.
- Provide iconic experiences for current and future generations.
Participatory Process Framework
The overall redesign process framework is scheduled as follows:
June/July 2016 // Imagine the Possibilities // A burst of ideas from the community.
- Online community survey in English and en Español. (Now Closed)
- Community Workshop #1 - Visioning the possibilities (June 28, 2016)
- Steering committee convenes
- Focus group discussions (June 28, 2016)
- Operations & Management
- Economic Development, Merchants & Tourism
- Creating a Welcoming Public Space
- Special Events & Programming
- Arts, History & Culture
- Neighboring Tenants
August 2016 // Evaluate Options // A public exploration of different opportunities and decisions.
- Community Workshop #2 - Discussing conceptual options. (6:00 PM August 30 at City Hall)
- Ongoing stakeholder dialogues
- Steering committee convenes (August 30, 2016)
September/October 2016 // Evaluate Options // A public exploration of different opportunities and decisions.
- Online community survey in English and en Español. (Open until September 23, 2016)
- Design workshops with steering committee and issue focus groups. (September 26, 27)
November 2016 // People’s Choice // A new DRAFT vision for the plaza is unveiled.
- Steering Committee convenes (November 11, 2016)
- Downtown Resident Network presentation (November 11, 2016)
- Ongoing stakeholder dialogues
December 2016 / January 2017 // Plan Refinement
- Consultant team refines DRAFT plan based on Steering Committee and stakeholder comments
February 2017 // Plan Approval
- Steering Committee convenes to consider final DRAFT Master Plan (February 7, 2017)
Summer 2017 // Budget Development // Project Partners Develop Implementation Plan and Schedule
Conceptual Renderings of the Preferred Alternative for Calder Plaza
All renderings in JPG format.
All documents in PDF format.
- A Plaza Full of Potential Kick Off Presentation (June 28, 2016)
- A Plaza Full of Options (August 30, 2016)
- DRAFT proposed Calder Plaza master plan presentation (November 11, 2016)
A Plaza Full of Options
Grand Rapidians convened on August 30, 2016 for a community forum to review and evaluate a series of conceptual possibilities for redesigning Calder Plaza.
This video features landscape architect Mike Albert of Design Workshop presenting a variety of options and choices for the plaza's redesign. These preliminary concepts are based on public input gathered through the public survey, community visioning workshop and focus group discussions in June.
The presentation was followed by an interactive survey of meeting participants to gauge interest in and support for the various alternatives. Click here - in English and en Español - to take that survey and share your views on the alternatives presented in the video immediately below.
All files in JPG format unless otherwise noted.
- 1956 concept of City-County complex, and the plaza, on the Grand River.
- 1965 project plan of City-County complex showing fountain feature.
Keeler Bridge (1980's)
- Keeler Bridge over Monroe Avenue looking northeast.
- Keeler Bridge over Monroe Avenue looking southwest.
- Keeler Bridge over Monroe Avenue looking north.
- 1980's view of plaza looking west.
Vesta sculpture by Nathan Horowitz (Installed 1973; Photos from the 1980's)
- Vesta sculpture looking up stairwell.
- Vesta sculpture at top of stairwell.
- Grand Rapids sculptor Nathan Horotwitz remembered for 'great heart' (Grand Rapids Press)
GR Fwd (2015)
Citizen Steering Committee
- Ace Covey, Grand Rapids Sport and Social Club
- Brandy Moeller, City of Grand Rapids / Alliance For Vibrancy
- Carl Kelly, resident
- Sam Cummings, CWD Real Estate Investment
- Chris Reader, Spectrum Health
- Dana Friis-Hansen, Grand Rapids Art Museum
- Duke Turley, event producer
- Eddie Tadlock, Devos Place / Alliance For Vibrancy
- Elizabeth Ransford, resident and historian
- Greg Sundstrom, City of Grand Rapids
- Jorge Gonzales, West Michigan Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Kristian Grant, Sydneys Boutique GR / Alliance For Investment
- Lisa LaPlante, Kent County
- Lynee Wells, Williams and Works / Alliance For Livability
- Mark DeClercq, City of Grand Rapids
- Mary Swanson, Kent County
- Scott Stenstrom, 5/3 Bank / Alliance For Vibrancy
- Tommy Allen, artist
- Richard App, Richard App Gallery
- Matt Patulski, digital consultant
- Scott Wierda, CWD Real Estate Investment
- Design Workshop specializes in landscape architecture, planning, urban design and serves as project manager.
- Marlon Blackwell Architects is a design centered critical architecture firm that is assisting in the design and execution of the visionary ideas for Calder Plaza.
- ETM Associates specialize in public space management and operations and is helping ensure the designs for Calder Plaza are accompanied by a long-term maintenance and operations plan.
- RWDI are wind engineering, microclimate and human comfort specialists using advanced engineering tools and expertise to optimize designs for Calder Plaza from a human perspective.